Monday, March 14, 2016



Today was a lot of driving, but we stopped at a marble carving factory for a look around. For a communist country, there sure is a lot of free enterprise going on, this place is as capitalistic as it gets. I spoke to some locals and they say yes, we are a communist country, but the communists are just a political party in a big country. ,  the marble was pretty impressive stuff, but their attempts to sell me an elephant fell on deaf ears , it only weighed about 800 lbs.

Danang city

the famous Dragon bridge

Had to stop crossing the river to take a photo of the Dragon Bridge, which they built two years ago ,and which won an architectural Ward for its design.
taking mom, dad, the furniture, and the ducks along

 This country has been at war for 1000 years, with just about everyone, and just when I thought I was getting a grasp of its history, I realized I was trying to drink  from a fire hose. To much to learn, too many leaders, too many occupations, too confusing.
 One thing is for sure, the South and the North are two different countries, and the people differ as well, in many ways.  It's a lot cooler here, and I think it might actually feel cold when we get to Hanoi which is farther north from here.

The Citadel, or Imperial fort


Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum with their new hats



When we arrived in Hue ( pronounced Way), we headed into the old town along the river,and went to the former Imperial Capital, which was modelled after the Forbidden City in Beijing. This place is amazing, and houses within its walls, the Thai How Palace, home of the emperors. Also within the walls ,is the Purple City, home of the Emperors concubines, the mandarins, and also the Royal family.








 Sadly, as fantastic as this place is,so much of it was destroyed during the Tete Offensive. Walk around here and you realize how futile and ridiculous war is, so sad to take your anger out on antique buildings and historic artifacts.
Well, my suitcase  committed suicide today, so off to by a new something to put my dirty clothes in,then off to dinner on my own. The gang took a rickshaw ride to a dinner tonight, I decided to just walk around the town and river and enjoy the feel of the place. I usually travel alone , at least not in a group, so I need a little me time tonight.

Tomorrow I might head up the river to the Pagodas and monastry

No comments:

Post a Comment