Monday, March 14, 2016

Sunday March 14th
Ignore the date stamp, I am manipulating the publish time so the read is top to bottom, this is easier to read.  Had breakfast on the river, then headed to the Chatuchak Markets, Thelma ( AKA Caroline/ well hung ( she was a wall paper hanger once)) needed a new sun hat, she got one and now I walk ahead of her, its a bloody ridiculous hat,
but that's our Thelma. The markets were really interesting, and if you didn't know how to barter, you were screwed. They covered many blocks, dark dingy alleys, and smelly back streets, but a great experience.

 From there, I dropped into a dentist office who I had been emailing, I was suitably impressed, so tomorrow I find out if they can do anything for the broken teeth.
There is something strange about all this human mass and vehicles bustling  along the crowded streets, they don't drive here, they dodge. Then I realized what was missing, and found out it's illegal to blow your horn in Bangkok, they should try that in other parts of the third world.
Thailand was originally known as Siam, there are 67 million people here, and 12 million live in Bangkok, its rushed and crowded, but somewhat peaceful, maybe because 90% of the population are buddists.  Contrary to popular belief, Buddhism is not a religion, its a way of life ,but here Buddhism is strongly influenced by the Hindu religion.
I never realized that Bangkok is Thailand's 4 the capital city, and is the only country in S E Asia that was never colonized. You have Burma etc colonized by the British on one side, the French on the other, the Dutch and America along the other border, but never Thailand. Apparently this was because the king was a great negotiator, and befriended the Russian Czar, who said " if anyone invades you, I'll take care of it,,,,,,mate".
Anyway, King Rama founded Thailand in 1782, the King Rama the 4 the, ( the king and I) was the one who brought in the European influence and Western education.
Dinner tonight was at a street vendor, good old Street food which for me is the best. Tomorrow the group have a tour to do, I have a dentist.

The weekend markets

2 comments:

  1. I would love the old market place - good on Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aloha to all who read ZB's aka Pat's blog. Great fun and a great read! And all should know that he convinced me to by the cute hat! Plus I found a pair of Ozkley sunglasses.... really nice for $5... thanks to Pat's bargaining skills! BUT the best sunglasses ever came from Vietnam. Hope he wrote about how he purchased those glasses in a later blog!!! C aka Thelma aka Well Hung

    ReplyDelete