Monday, March 14, 2016

This morning we headed out to the temples of Angkor Thom, these temples built around the old capital and were Buddha temples that were later taken over by the Hindu religion.
but before I continue, I have to tell you about the night markets. We found a Dr. Fish Massage tank, where the tiny 1 inch fish chew away you dead skin. I found a tank with 4 inch fish, all the more fun.
Now, as it turns out, Caroline is a real girl, I had to convince her to put her feet in first by paying for her (that was 2 dollars for 45 minutes, plus a free beer). all the whole night market could hear was her screaming, I had to lay across her legs to keep them in there, by the time we were done, the fish were deaf

my point exactly, what a girly girl

tickles like a you know what
 All the Buddha's in Ankor Tom were removed and slight changes made to accommodate the new beliefs and the gods to Vishnu, Brahma, and Shiva. These temples later reverted back to being Buddhist  at a later date. Today it is no longer considered legal, or respectful, to buy and remove Buddha statues or trinkets from the country.

The faces of angkor Thom are from the Buddhist period, and the photos show how well some have been preserved by the forest overgrow through the years.

After a few hours in Angkor Thom, we headed out for lunch. I had a Khmer yellow curry soup, I can't begin to tell you how good the food is here, I loved it.
 Back to the hotel fora swim after lunch as the temperature was at 112 degrees F.
 At three we headed to Angkor Wat, this was primarily why I came, I was not disappointed.
 This is one of the most impressive religious sights I have been to anywhere, and the scale of the complex is surprisingly large.AND, all my photos have disappeared, I will try get some from Caroline. I now have those photos, thanks Thelma....ANKOR WAT
The photos speak for themselves,, and the Vietnam war has left its marks on the place as well.

I knew of campuchia, but didn't realize that Campuchia and Cambodia were one and the same. When it all boiled down to it, that war was communists fighting communists, the Khymer were nothing but communist Cambodians, who when given the freedom to, committed  the worste of attrocities.

 Our guide was very open about his experiences as a soldier, and as a family who lost a brother, sister, and uncle, and who's father ran away but re materialized again three weeks after the final elections when the Khymer finally signed the peace treaty. But our guide said the attrocities continued all the way up till 1996, unreported.
As for the Temple complex, it took about 60 years to build, and is very much a Hindu  temple, with Buddhist  temples along the periphery.


This was very special, being able to visit the temples here in Siem Reap,
good buddies

this corridor ran 200 meters

the central tower

so I am grateful for the opportunity and hope to return again someday, as for now, it's back to the night market . I want to try some very local cuisine.

1 comment: